At MISY we have a thriving and supportive sixth-form made up of Y12 and Y1udents who play a leading role in the school community and study for International A-level qualifications. The A-levels we offer here are certified by the Cambridge International, the same as our IGCSEs. More detailed information about the A-levels can be found on the Cambridge International website (www.cambridgeinternational.org).
Why study A-levels here at MISY?
- you can continue to study subjects you enjoy and are good at and achieve high grades in them giving you options in the future;
- to study certain subjects that allow you to enter a particular career or course;
- for the love of learning at a high level which can also count as credit in your first year at university;
- we offer 10 different subjects at AS level giving you a huge range of options. This range means that class sizes are often small leading to a real tutorial-style delivery;
- working closely with our 6th form Homeroom teacher and Academic Counsellor means you have real flexibility to pursue community projects around the school and in Yangon. This is a great way to help others and looks amazing on your university application;
- students leaving MISY in year 13 progress into top Universities in the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Singapore.
We currently offer the following subjects at A-level. Almost all students study 4 subjects in Y12 and 3 subjects in Y13 (there is an option to take a fourth subject in Y13).
- Art and Design
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- English Language
At MISY we offer a range of additional subjects that develop a level of social and personal awareness in our 6th form students. Furthermore, these subjects support students in their applications to universities. The subjects are:
- Community Service (Project based work to support the school and the local community)
- PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education)
- Physical Education
Student learning and assessment
At MISY every student is an individual and we endeavour to create activities that can access all of our students. Throughout KS5 student learning is assessed in a variety of different ways, some examples include: essays and other forms of written work, presentations, artistic representations of learning, research tasks, problem solving activities, examination etc.
Life at MISY
The secondary section at MISY has a lot to be proud of:
- we have a wide selection of sports teams that compete with other schools in the Yangon area;
- for the past two years a group of students successfully participated in the World Scholars Cup (a general knowledge competition where students from all over the world compete);
- we participate in the Model United Nations (a complete mock-up of a real United Nations Conference where students are expected to make decisions about real-life world issues and present their ideas to their peers for discussion);
- the A-level results are consistently well above the world average;
- there are regular music events for the students to get involved in;
- there are opportunities to develop your drama skills through school productions, last year, students presented a very successful Cinderella performance.