Welcome to Key Stage 1 (Year 1 and Year 2)
Key Stage 1 at MISY consists of two year groups,
Year 1 students are 5 years old at the beginning of the school year.
Year 2 students are 6 years old at the beginning of the school year.
Each class is taught by an experienced foreign teacher supported by a well qualified assistant teacher.
Year 1 class begins at 8:15 a.m. and finishes at 2:20 p.m.
Year 2 class begins at 8:15 a.m. and finishes at 2:30 p.m.
- To provide a secure and happy learning environment
- To promote positive relationships.
- To establish a love for learning that will go with them throughout school
- To help students develop good learning habits
- To help students recognize their own strengths
- To help children to develop an awareness and appreciation of the world around them
- To promote positive parent partnerships through good communication and joint learning opportunities
English National Curriculum
Students in Year 1 and 2 acquire knowledge and skills in line with the English National Curriculum adjusted to an international setting. We provide a varied, balanced and rich programme which fosters a love for learning that we hope your child will carry with them throughout their lives. We know that KS1 is a crucial stage in a child’s school life.
The curriculum consists of the core subjects of:
- English and Mathematics which are taught every day
- Science, Geography and History, teach a broader understanding of the world
- Personal, Social and Health Education lessons (PSHE) teach students how to look after themselves in a rapidly changing society, on the web, physically, emotionally
- ICT, Music, Art and Myanmar classes are all taught by specialist teachers
- Mandarin classes start in Year 2
- Weekly library lessons encourage students to choose and take library books home and share them with their family.
After School Activities, Sports Coaching, Educational Trips and Celebrations
We run a programme of exciting after school activities and sports coaching which students are encouraged to sign up for each term.
All classes go on educational trips which are linked to the unit of study.
Students join in school wide celebrations such as International Day, sports days, cultural Days and end of term performances.
Communication with Parents
We understand that it is vital for parents to be involved in their child’s learning and regular communication is essential. We have the following system to keep you updated:
Meet the Teachers’ Event
At the beginning of the year, individual class teachers explain the routines and expectations of their class. This is also a chance for parents to ask questions about the school day.
Reports and Conferences
Each year there are two student-teacher-parent conferences, and two written reports to keep you updated about your child’s progress.
Electronic communication via Class Dojo
We use Class Dojo which is a safe electronic method of communication between teacher and parent to send regular messages and photos to update you about what is happening in class. We send a newsletter to parents via Class Dojo at the beginning of each unit to keep you abreast of our learning.
We hold regular coffee mornings for parents to update you on new initiatives.